KZ-RV Owners Forum KZOwnersForum.com, Reviews, Feedback, Problems
The owners forum for KZ-RV owners and buyers.

It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 8:14 pm

Please click here to view the forum rules

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Portable Generator not cutting it?
PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 4:13 pm 

I purchased this generator for our 2013 Spree Escape 16BH to top off battery, run AC if needed which is rare, and microwave. Here is the genny http://www.usesmartertools.com/AP-2000i.html Spec wise I thought this would do the job, the generator is quiet, easy to start, and is working probably ( if we could refrain from should a bought a etc. I would appreciate it). In this unit the AC is either a 6000 btu or 7000, I think it is the 6000. Looking at wattage requirements for the micro and AC this genny should run this stuff successfully. I tried each of them (one unit a time) and neither would work. I am still think I am missing something? Is it the 15amp adapter that comes with trailer, do I need a 15amp to 30 amp adapter etc. Even my shore power from the house will not kick the air compressor on, for such a low BTU thought there would be no problem. Any thoughts? I understand the microwave needs about max the power of this genny which is 1600 watts running so in this case I adjusted the power level of the Micro to half and even below, but still did not work. I assume running at half power on the micro would cut that down to 8000 watts?

We love the new camper and everything is working great, probably have more questions later. Right now the Generator question is my concern. Been out on three trips with the RV and having a great time.

Post subject: Re: Portable Generator not cutting it?
PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:48 pm 

We now have a 50 amp plug , but before that, just a regular house plug at 20 amp. Used to run ac off of it which about maxed it. With ac off, it would easily run microwave.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:14 pm 

I know you wanted to avoid "( if we could refrain from should a bought a etc. I would appreciate it), but here's my take.

First off, I have a Yamaha 2000 and it easily runs my microwave ... or ... my 15k AC. Not both of course. Now to your situation. I first bought a "cheap" generator thinking what you are thinking. One camp out and I got rid of it and bought the Yamaha. Those cheaper generators just don't cut it.

If I were you (and I'm not), I would try to return the other genny and get either a Yamaha or Honda, your choice of color.

As far as not running on simple 20 amp house outlet, I have the same results with that. Perhaps you might take your RV to your dealer and have them check out why you are having the issue you are experiencing.

My 2 cents

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 9:50 pm 

The generator is rated at 1600W running/2000W surge. My guess is your microwave is 1,000 watts so it should definitely run the microwave alone. On the other hand the start current for a 5,000 btu A/C unit could be 2 or 3 times higher than the run power. One guy did a test and found the peak current when starting his 5,000 btu A/C unit was over 20A.

I'm also wondering if the total generator power is 1600W/2000W total BUT you'll only get 800W/1000W from any single outlet.

I have a Yamaha 2400ishc. It will start my 13.5K btu A/C unit but you can tell it is really pushing out the max surge power when it does it and it will not run the A/C unit and the microwave at the same time.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 9:46 am 

I use a Champion 2000i generator. The specs. are abouth the same as yours.
It will run the microwave but not the AC. I also have a 3500 watt generator that will run the AC if I turn off the 12V converter in the RV. They take a lot of power to start up.

You say you can't run the AC even if you are connected to your home power. What happens? Does the circuit breaker in your house trip or one in the RV? How many things are on that circuit including the RV?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 1:43 pm 

Thanks guys, I have tried everything, but no luck. Still I am happy with the purchase, the generator tops off the battery fine and runs other items. We bought some mountain property, might build some day, meanwhile we take up the KZ. The generator game in real handy running the sawsall for the wife and I used a chainsaw to clear some deadwood on the property. I digress, I do question the AC though, since we never camp at hookups, I will have the dealership run it to make sure. The only time we need it is when we pack at home in it gets hot in the summer here in Colorado. Although the wife mentioned after cutting wood it would be nice to run the air, step inside and cool down. The hard start capacitor is probably the way to go.
VTR

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 9:55 pm 

Well, I am back. Took the trailer in for some warranty issues, just a few items really. I mentioned I question if the air conditioning even worked. We tried it at a 30 amp hook-up before winter hit, and it was fairly cool out but I thought what the heck, i am going outside to enjoy the outdoors. The dealer ordered a new air unit because, in fact, was not working. So I will report back when the season starts back up and try that genny again. If anything it might be an altitude problem for the generator. I expect my house current to start it, just as it starts my window units for the house, which are rated the same. Anyway I am hopeful, and March just can not come soon enough for me!~

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 10:41 pm 

VTR. I am also from Colorado, and we do a lot of dry camping at an altitude of about 9,000 to 10,000 feet. I mentioned earlier that I bought a cheap unit and then upgraded to a Yamaha. The reason I changed was exactly an altitude issue. It was a Champion and it wouldn't run period. I don't think that's your issue, but you never know. BTW, I called Champion and asked why it wouldn't run at 9,000 feet and they said they never tested at that altitude. Go figure.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 11:44 pm 

What are you pulling Joe Camper? Maybe I will see ya on the road! We bought some land at about 8 to 9 thousand feet, been you using the genny up there for various duties. I am just hoping the air works at home here in Denver when we are packing to go, gets hot, that is when we need the most.
Sorry, just noticed, I will look for that Durango when we are out and about. We end up all over Colorado.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 11:26 pm 

Increasing altitude will sap generation output. Let us know if you have better l suck with the new a/c unit.

My Yamaha 2400ish will start/ run my a/c or microwave but not both at the same time. Adding a start capacitor took some of the strain off the generator during a/c start-up.

Please click here to view the forum rules